Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Cakes, Coins and Cancer by Johanna

My neighbor needs Christ. For some time I have felt drawn to reach out to her. Not too long ago, I went over to her house and asked her if she would ever be interested in reading the Bible together. Because she grew up on the Caribbean Coast of Nicaragua, she speaks both English and Spanish. She informed me that she actually went to church a lot as a child. I told her to think about the offer. Up to this point, most of our interaction as neighbors had been strained at best. A few days later, she was having her birthday party, so I offered to make her a birthday cake. She was very touched by the gesture and has warmed up to us a lot. She shared with me that her 5-year old son was waking up at night with nightmares and asked for advice. Maybe through the cake she was able to “taste and see that the Lord is good.”

Just after delivering the cake, I went to the airport to pick up a friend. On the way home, we pulled into McDonalds (the only one in Nicaragua.) Usually, there are several small children who hang out there in the parking lot, waiting for leftovers. It can be pretty hard to enjoy your food, knowing they are out there. I stayed in the car while my friend ran in to grab some dinner to go. On this particular night, a small boy was sitting on the concrete wall with a small container of change. He amused himself by dumping the coins in his hand, looking at them and then returning them to the little tube, firmly closing the lid each time. I amused myself by watching him. I was pretty tired from making the cake and driving through city traffic at dark, so I quietly rolled down my window and stared at this little soul, all alone. After resting a moment, I started to talk with him a little bit, asking his age and name. Before pulling away, I was able to add to his coin collection and tell him that Jesus loves him. I was pleased to see someone that looked like his mother appear with other siblings, as I was leaving. It is always difficult to know what to do with this sort of situation. Do we want to promote children begging in public places? It is a dilemma and we respond differently each time.

Recently, I was in a pharmacy buying some medicine for David. An older lady came in to ask about a medicine she needed for her 5-year old granddaughter who is fighting cancer. She wanted to buy 2 pills for the weekend, but when she found out they were $2 each, she hung her head and began to walk away. I knew that $4 was probably a whole day’s income for that family. I quickly told the pharmacist, “I’ll pay for that.” Then the pharmacist said that she would pay for 2 more pills. It was such a wonderful moment and it helped me remember why I wanted to live in a place like this. Amidst the dust, dirt and heat, I was able to lift the spirits of that hard working grandmother and help with the treatment of her granddaughter. What a privilege! Thank you to all of you who give sacrificially so that we can freely minister in this corner of the world. God is well pleased.

3 comments:

Gretchen said...

Johanna,

My eyes filled with tears when I read that you wanted to think about memories of my mother to share. It made me think back to the "old days" when you used to stay at our house, and when you were pregnant with David and Mom lent you some of her maternity clothes. I'm sure you understand how it feels to lose a wonderful mother, because you lost your wonderful mother, too. But there is SUCH COMFORT in people sharing what they loved about her, and how much they miss her. It helps to know that they miss her too, you know? Anyway, thanks for sharing in our sorrow. Love you, friend!
~Gretchen

jillybean said...

Johanna,
These are beautiful stories. I'm so glad you shared them. They really help me to get a picture of what life is like there. I'm so blessed by the way that you looked for and sought out ways to meet the needs of the people around you. It's a challenge to me!
Love you,
Jill

FranR. said...

Johanna, I read your touching post of our friend Gretchen's blog. Hope you don't mind, but it seemed right to go over to yours and read of your opportunity to serve the little boy with the coins. We at Calvary have lost two wonderful, beautiful women. Women close to my age whom I loved. Women who loved children and cared for them. I have learned alot from your mother and Grets. May God strengthen me and give me grace to serve the little ones of the church as they did. I am praying, of course for your dad. He played the piano and sang HIS song, Day Star, at Sue's funeral. She would have been delighted. Jamie is doing so well with taking care of my dear mother who will be 92 in Dec. I know God has something amazing for her because of her willingness to do this. I am so fortunate to have my mother. But, I still miss my wonderful dad, who died in 1968. He would have so proud of the girls and the twins. And, I get to be Grammy again in the fall. James and Sandy just told us this week about Baby Snyder. Pray with us that all goes well. I remember when your folks and Julie came to Champaign to see the twins. I was so grateful for that visit. I also have a picture of Jill and DiAnne with the twins here at my house. What a treasure. Blessings to you, Bob and the kids. Fran Reese